Sprayed by a Skunk? Learn Our Secret Recipe to Get Rid of Skunk Spray Odor!
So. You, your dog, your cat, or any other unlucky individual in your life has been sprayed with by a skunk, and now you want to get rid of that pungent smell. In order to eliminate the putrid odor released by the skunk who sprayed you, it is important to know the myths and truths associated with this stinky problem, that can actually burn and cause temporary blindness if the skunk got the money shot, and sprayed directly into the eyes.
First things first, here are some of the MYTHS:
- Bathing in tomato juice will get rid of the smell
- Lemon or orange citrus will get rid of the smell
- Bathing in dish detergent will get rid of the smell
- Masking agents will get rid of the smell
These common, yet very wrong tactics, WILL NOT work when it comes to ridding yourself of a skunk spray smell. However, you are in luck because we are going to share with you a secret recipe that DOES WORK!
We were able to get our hands on this top secret recipe to eliminate the odor that results after one has been sprayed by a skunk, and we want to share this classified information with all of you!
TOP SECRET SKUNK-ODOR ELIMINATING RECIPE:
- 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
- Mix these ingredients together and bathe (lather in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly
- Make sure to use this mixture immediately after combining ingredients, as it is unstable.
- Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
- For spray in the eyes, flush with water immediately, or as soon as possible.
- Then give Tri-County Wildlife a call to rid you of your skunk problem!
IMPORTANT SKUNK INFORMATION:
A skunk in the area poses a constant threat to inquisitive pets, especially when dealing with young skunks, since young skunks often practice spraying as they get used to their primary defensive weapon. Adult skunks can spray up to 15 feet and can spray both accurately and several times. A skunk will usually warn give you a warning before they spray by turning around and raising their tails. If a skunk displays this type of behavior, RUN IMMEDIATELY AND RUN FAST!
The ONE AND ONLY WAY to take care of a skunk problem is with trapping and removal of the animals. Skunks dig under concrete or decks to find places to live. An open garage door is very inviting for them and often find pet food there. They also can tear up a yard looking for grubs.
ALWAYS USE CAUTION when approaching a skunk as they are strong carriers of rabies.
At Tri-County Wildlife, our wildlife relocation professionals can trap & remove skunks safely, without them spraying. Services include skunk trapping, capture and removal, in addition to animal damage repairs and preventative measures. Give our office a call at 845-225-6562 anytime to discuss your wildlife problem and schedule an appointment. If you have an immediate wildlife problem, call our 24/7 emergency service line at 914-804-8444!